Originally known as the Highland Glee Club of Newton Highlands, the group was formed in 1908 by a small group of men living in Newton who loved to sing together. For years, rehearsals and concerts were performed in Newton.
Hundreds of men have been members of our chorus in our more than 100 years in existence. We continue to support and encourage men’s chorale singing in the hope of seeing greater interest and growth in this form of music. Since our members hail from many areas, we dropped the Newton from our name and because many of our members are from Needham, we now hold our rehearsals and concerts in Needham.
The club pays for operational costs and funds a music scholarship in the following ways:
• Ticket sales for our annual spring and winter concerts
• Fees for performances
• Annual dues paid by members
• Sponsorships from friends and local businesses
• Grants from local charitable organizations and cultural councils
• Donations to our Music Scholarship Award Fund
• Advertisements placed in our program books by local generous businesses.
While all of our founding fathers have passed on, they left a heritage that endures today. Our theme song and motto “Ecce Quam Bonum” is as true today as it was then.
Behold how good and how pleasant it is
for brethren to dwell together in unity.